So what is Lex Sportiva? Literally it’s the latin term for sports law but also the name of our blog where we write about developments in the sports law industry and offer both analysis and commentary on sporting legal issues. We’re an easy-to-read blog making sports law accessible to everyone regardless of their background. We’re also a Top 30 Sports Law Blog run by sports lawyers and are recognised by current industry leaders!
So what kind of topics do we cover so far?
- Football Law
- Politics and Sports
- Women in Sports
- Ambush Marketing
- Sports Regulation
- Tax in Sports
Most recent Article:
In the 2010’s, the football world underwent some significant changes. From nuanced transfer clauses to advanced goal-line technology, the game has been modernised. In the last year of the decade, the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) was finally introduced in the Premier League. Since then, the ripples of that technology have been felt far and wide.… Read more
Here are some of our older articles:
- FIFA Regulatory Changes : The regulatory changes proposed at the FIFA Football Law Annual Review 2018 held in Zurich.
- The “Pyramid System” : What is the Pyramid System of sports governance and how does it work in football?
- VAR: Friend or Foe? : 99.3% certainty? Is this a good thing for football? Can we trust VAR? Does it have a future in the beautiful game?
- No Profit? Here’s PROFUT! : Brazil are crazy about football, would any other country go to these extreme lengths to support their clubs?
- Super League : What is the Super League and why you should be scared of it. Clubs are putting financial interests above the fans.
- Football Paradoxes I : Ever wondered why the most populous countries in the world aren’t the best at football?
- Football Paradoxes II : Is there a formula to winning the World Cup? Can China realistically accomplish this before 2050?
- Justice for the 96 : An analysis of the Hillsborough Disaster. What were the facts? What were the repercussions?
- TPO & TPI: Hate the player and the game : Have FIFA’s stringent TPO & TPI regulations (18bis and 18ter) limited players’ rights?
- Intermediaries & Minors : Intermediaries aren’t allowed to be paid for representing minors but is this right?
- The Cost of Happiness : How much does being a fan cost? A detailed analysis of the Champions League final.
- The Europeanisation of South American Football : New regulations are promoting, is this putting safety over the fans?
- Contractual Hazard: Medical Examinations : Can an employment contract be conditional on a successful medical examination?
- Minors in Football : What are the rules surrounding minors in football and do they discriminate in favour of Europeans?
- FIFA 2019 World Cup : A look at the backdrop for the World Cup focusing on the new financial regulations and prize money.
- FIFA’s New Agents’ Regulations : How has FIFA approached agents over the last few years; the journey from agent to intermediary.
- Man City v UEFA: Is their CAS Appeal admissible? : Can Man City appeal the decision of the IC of the UEFA CCFCB to refer their pending case to the AC.
- The Endless War Against Agents: A Cap on Commission? : A proposed cap on commission would only target the 1% and create an oligopoly in the market.
- Image Rights : What are image rights and how do they work for footballers? How does the law treat them?
- Football in Ecuador : In 2019 Ecuadorian football will begin a new chapter by having their own Professional Football League (EPFL).
- 50+1 Rule: The Bundesliga : Explaining the structure of ownership for german clubs and why they are the golden standard of football ethics.
- Major League Soccer’ Single Entity Structure : Did you know that all clubs and players in the MLS are owned by the league?
- The MLS’ Growth and Role in World Football : Can the MLS ever compete with the ‘top five’ leagues?
- Monetary claims before FIFA: Are they worth it? : Taking monetary claims to FIFA can be expensive and slow, is this real justice?
- Pre-contracts : What is a pre-contract in football and when are they legally enforceable for players and clubs?
- Italy’s New Licensing System for Agents: How are agents regulated in Italy and what would it take to become one.
- Emiliano Sala: An Agreement Never Rests In Peace : A look at the legal issues around Sala’s transfer to Cardiff from Nantes.
- FIFA Regulatory Changes to TPO : FIFA has changed its definition of Third Party Ownership. Why has it done so and what are the consequences for players?
- VAR, What is it good for? Absolutely nothing? : A look at VAR’s application, problems and how it could potentially be improved.
Politics and Sport
- Puerto Rico: Sovereign Olympic Colony? : A 51st state with its own Olympic Team? How and why has this come about?
- “Shut Up and Dribble”? : Why sports are more than just sports and how athletes can use their fame to champion social or political causes.
- Athletes > Medals : It’s time to start taking sexual abuse allegations seriously and protecting athletes so they can achieve their dream.
- Doping (Paolo Guerrero) : Paolo Guerrero was given a 14 month ban from football but was he guilty? New facts seem to suggest not…
- WADA & Whereabouts : An introduction to WADA and their ‘Whereabouts’ rule. Does this rule infringe athletes’ privacy?
- The WADA Whereabouts Rule: Coleman Case Study : Christian Coleman had 3 whereabout failures in a 12-month period, but WADA let him off. Do you know why?
- Tackling Match Fixing : What is match fixing? Why does it happen? What can we do to tackle it and stop it from occurring?
- Tennis Match Fixing in South America : An in depth study of the Juan Carlos Sáez and Marco Trungellitti cases.
- LawInSport : A guide to LawInSport and their conference this year, looking at their anti-doping, media rights and eSports Panels.
- The FCE Congress : Lex Sportiva went to the FCE Congress as an official blog partner and here’s our report.
- Policing UK Football: Is it Proportionate? : A look at policing costs / styles, alcohol restrictions and Banning Orders.
- Tumbang Preso : What’s the difference between a sport and a game and why does it matter to the sport?
- Gender (In)Equality : A look at inequality in sports with specific reference to salary gaps and the next steps towards equality.
- Ambush Marketing in Sports : A guide to Ambush Marketing and some of its best recent examples.
- Crypto, Blockchain & Football Clubs : Football Clubs are looking for new revolutionary technologies and are turning to cyrpto and blockchain.
- Tax in Sports : A brief introduction to taxation in sports and why it can be problematic for international athletes.
- Social Media in Sports : Social media has become a part of regulated sport and stars like Neymar have been sanctioned for their online presence.
- Indian Competition Law in Sports : A case study on the Indian Volleyball Federation and Baseline agreement.
- Athletes v Artists: Who Owns the Ink? : A look at whether tattoos are copywritable and how this affects athletes.
- The UAE: Rehabilitation Destination & Science Hub? : A look at the development of rehabilitation technology and the emerging role of the UAE.
- Should an Athlete’s Health Status be Public? : How do different sports and countries treat athletes’ medical data.
- Getting into Sports Law: 5 Tips Nobody Tells you : A guide on how to get into the sports law sector from someone who has done it!